Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Story of the Ornaments


I used this as a guest post a few weeks ago, but if you did not catch it, here it is:

I love decorating for the holidays.  Yesterday, I literally squealed when I realized that I could hang up my Thanksgiving dish towel.  I get that from my mom.  The decorating aspect, not the squealing.

One thing I love about Christmas is getting out my box of ornaments.  My parents gave each of us an ornament every year.  The ornament had something to do with some significant event from the past year.  I love looking at each ornament and remembering that year.  This is definitely a tradition I wish to continue with my children.


Here are a few of my favorites and a short story behind each one:

I got this one the Christmas of the year my husband and I got engaged.  

This is one of my favorite ones.  A teacher in high school gave this to me and said it was because I was homemade.  To me, that was the best compliment.  
My parents gave this one to me after I moved away.  I would have cooking dates with my mom.  I would pick 4-5 recipes to make.  We would make them all in one day.  Then, we package them into single serving portions.  That way, I could grab a meal from the freezer without having to whip up a big mess for one person!  Phenomenal idea, and it worked very well.  
These are from last year, our first Christmas after we were married.  The one on the left, my hubs and I picked out at the biggest Christmas store ever, in Frakenmuth, MI.  My parents surprised us with the one on the left.  He is such a cute little snowman.  I remember all the fun Anthony and I had our first Christmas.  (He is kind of a scrooge when it comes to decorating.)
This is the most recent one that we have received.  I was so excited to get an ornament from Anthony's parents.  Last summer we went camping in Pagasa with his family.  We have so many memories from this place.  Like, find dead mice in my brother in law's air conditioning, cooking out, coffee in the mornings, hiking, and floating down the river.  Thanks for thinking of us.  I love it!

I have received several angels over the years.  I love them all!  I like to think I get them because I am an angel.  haha or maybe because my name is Angel-a.






What is your favorite ornament?  If you don't have one, I definitely recommend starting this tradition with your family this year!




4 comments:

  1. i love that you have such a sweet story behind your ornaments, that is one thing I need to do a better job of. It is a great way to bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog. You have a very nice blog here, I look forward to reading more about you :)

    -Lauricia
    Giveitsomestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this tradition! So sweet! I think I may start it this year! Thank you for the idea! Those ornaments are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your special ornaments. I hope one day my tree will be filled with so many memories that it can tell my families life story. Following back from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete