Saturday, December 1, 2012

Confronting Sin in Fellow Believers


This is a sticky issue.  Nonbelievers call this judging, but believers are commanded to call out other believers who are in sin.  Fortunately, God has given us a standard of right and wrong, so we don't have to guess or allow one's feelings, preferences, or upbringing to determine truth.  I have had to do this a handful of times.  It is not my favorite thing to do; however, God has commanded believers to do this.  I can recall a few times where I really wished that fellow believers, who knew I was living in sin, would have called me out on this. 
Matthew 18:15-22
If your brother sins go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed.
If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as Gentile and a tax collector.
Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.
Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven.
For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”
Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.”

The purpose of confronting is to restore them to the body of Christ.  It is not to show them up or make them feel bad.   But, it is also important to remember that God is the one who allows for repentance.  I can do the part that God has commanded me to do, but I have to leave the rest up to him. 


2 Timothy 2:24-25
The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged.
With gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,
And they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.


 Remember, though, that we also need to do this with gentleness.  

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the world; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
Galatians 6:1
Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.
Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

The times that I have felt convicted to confront other sisters in Christ, Satan has tried tirelessly to prevent me.  Why?  He doesn't want this sister out of her sin.  How?  He put doubts in my heart about my sins from my past.  "Angela, how can you call someone else out on their sin when you struggled with purity, too?"  Fortunately, God reminds me that my life is not the standard that God has called believers to. 

What a blessing it is that God allows forgiveness and restoration!   
 Linking Up:
Upward Not Inward 


2 comments:

  1. it is hard to do this :) but done the right way its so needed for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true! bummed that I missed the "support group" this week. I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete