Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Selfish Part 2

Good Morning world!
I just finished the chapter on selfishness in Jerry Bridges' book Respectable Sins. He showed me two more areas where I can strive to be less selfish. The first area is with money. I am a complete money hoard--I dislike spending my money. I don't have a problem spending someone else's money, just not mine. Despite my personal preference, we are commanded to give.

The Lord has given me a very compassionate heart for those in need. I often am in tears when I see a homeless person or pass by the place where all the day-laborers stand waiting for work. It is great that I have compassion, but I need to put that compassion to work. Romans 12:15 says, "If anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him???"

The last area where selfishness is be manifested is in the trait of inconsiderateness. Bridges had a lot of good points, but I wanted to share the one that applies to what has been on my mind lately...marriage:) Selfishness can be found in marriages where each spouse expects the other to meet his or her needs, instead of thinking how they can serve each other. Anthony is such a great, selfless servant. He is constantly thinking about what I need. Last week, he knew my messy car was stressing me out, so while i was away in Austin, he went and had it cleaned. Wow, great guy, right?? I know! Not only does he know my tangible needs, he understands my emotional needs. For example, when I am hanging out over at Anthony's place and it is time to go, he knows my reaction. I tend to get all worked up because I don't want to go home. And then I start panicking because I have to find all my stuff that I have strewn all over his apartment. Bah! It is a big, stupid ordeal for me. He knows that though, and he goes and gets all my stuff for me, so that I will be ready to go. Could I do those things? Yes, of course. But he is going out of his way to meet my needs.
An unselfish person is always balancing his or her needs and concerns with the needs and concern of others. That is what I am striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment