Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Inside is what's Important!

Today I was reading, and some thoughts really stood out to me. It's not like I hadn't heard these things before, but a reminder is always nice.

I love chocolate, most kinds I will devour. However, when it comes to chocolate candies filled with something, I become very suspicious. The outside may look beautiful. It may come in a little gold box or have a decorative design, but 9 times out of 10 when I bite into it, I am sorely disappointed. It is usually filled with some sort of strawberry or coconut nastiness. Even though the outside is beautiful, it is the inside that is important.

That is true of believers as well. What are men and women praised for in the Bible? For their internal character, not how they look on the outside. In fact, God often warns us against worrying about what we look like. God wants us to focus on becoming like Christ , on shaping his character into His image.

1 Samuel 16:7 says, "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

How much time do we spend on fixing on outward appearance? (hair, makeup, shower, gym, clothes) And how much time do we spend working on becoming more like Christ?

Thoughts to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment