Monday, March 18, 2013

The hard parts of life

My sister is sick.  She has been sick for several years.  They don't know what is wrong with her.  Sometimes I feel like this:






And then I have to remind myself of this:



I am by no means an expert on helping someone who is chronically ill, but I have learned a few things:
1.  Be available.  Sometimes that means I have to be ready to take a phone call in the middle of the night.
2.  Listen.  Stop trying to tell her how to deal with the pain, just be available to listen to the frustrations.
3.  Hold her hand.  I am not always there when she gets really sick, but sometimes it's just nice to know that someone is there when you have weird things happening to your body.
4.  Keep praying and allow others to lift you and the the person who is ill up in prayer.  Sometimes I am so weak that all I can pray for is to have faith that God knows what is best. 

It is tough always being sick.  It is tough loving someone who is always in pain.  Pray for my sweet, strong sister.  Pray that I can be a sweet, strong sister for her.

xoxo,

5 comments:

  1. been there. super frustrating. praying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    This post is so deep and intense. I appreciate you being so open in your blogging. I cant imagine what you are feeling. Hope is powerful :) thinking of you!

    XO Jenna
    Demureindiamonds.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your sweet comment and thoughts. It is nice to have people encourage me, giving me strength to continue encouraging my sister.

      Delete
  3. I have a younger brother with Cystic Fibrosis. I love how truthful this post is. The hardest thing I had to learn is that I can never relate. I cannot sympathize but I can empathize, or try to. Prayers for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true. Thank you for your sweet comment. It is nice to connect with others who are walking the same road.

      Delete